Environment Times is raising money for the homeless this winter by creating a 'virtual ecohouse'. Golder Associates is one of the donors. They write about Land Contamination Management: Historic land contamination affects sites planned for sale or redevelopment, dormant and surplus sites, as well as land within operating sites such as process and manufacturing, power and storage facilities.
The investigation, assessment and remediation of potentially contaminated brownfield sites are core capabilities of Golder. Our consultants see every site is different, demanding individually tailored solutions.
Being involved in consultations and liaison on legislation and guidance with Government and regulators, we have a sound understanding of current and prospective legislation that applies to land contamination, involving waste management, landfill, environmental impact, groundwater and wide-ranging general environmental legislation, as well as regulations specifically for contaminated land. This legal regime is supported by a plethora of statutory and non-statutory guidance produced by Government and the environmental regulators. We have the reputation and standing to facilitate solutions for potentially contaminated and contaminated sites to ensure future environmental impacts are mitigated and value can be obtained from the site.
Our approach to managing potentially contaminated sites is founded on:
• A sound understanding of the current and prospective legislative regime applicable to contaminated land;
• An appreciation of the business and institutional demands on our clients;
• Advanced technical capability for site investigation, assessment and, where necessary, remediation; and
• A risk-based approach to the assessment of contaminated land and the development of cost-effective, sustainable solutions to meet the liability management and financial objectives of our clients.
• Phase 1 preliminary site assessments / desk studies;
• Phase 2 site investigations;
• Due diligence for site disposal / acquisition;
• Generic and detailed quantitative risk assessments of risks from contaminated soils and material, hazardous gases, polluted waters and liquids;
• Ecological risk assessments;
• Remediation options appraisals;
• Remedial Implementation and Verification Plan preparation;
• Design of remedial solutions, management of the procurement and construction of the remediation works;
• Turnkey design and operation;
• Sustainable remediation and development - analysis and quantitative evaluation;
• Waste soil minimisation and classification of waste soils;
• Site waste management plans;
• Waste management licence exemptions;
• Radiological land contamination investigation and assessment;
• Demolition and decommissioning consultancy; and
• Integrated contamination and geotechnical investigations, geotechnical, foundation and ground improvement design.